Re: [RC] rider fear - DESERTRYDR1

I disagree with Catfish about lessons not being the way to go, at least as
PART of the overall picture.  If you can ride better, and feel more secure, you
will be less fearful.

One key point here is you said that "The tenser I got, the more he spooked."
This is part of the dynamic between horse and rider.  Your horse has to trust
you when you are out alone, because he is a herd animal, and is looking to a
leader to tell him when it's safe or scarey, unless he is one of those very
dominant types who is scared of not much, in which case you wouldn't have
written.

Other suggestions Catfish made were right on the money, as far as
desensitizing.  But here are a couple more suggestions for when you are out
there alone
and start to get "that feeling"-- Focus on your breathing, take slow deep
breaths.  This works because it will calm YOU, and take your focus off his
spooking.  Sing a rhythmic song, one that will calm you if that helps you
breath.

When he starts to get spooky take it as a cue that YOU are being reactive and
looking to see what there is to spook at.  Try a centered riding exercise
that involves opening your focus to look at the wider picture--the whole
landscape.  I forget what this technique is called, but the point is that if
your are
looking at the wider picture, you aren't focusing on ONE spooky.  Look past
spookies when you encounter them, or to one side.  In other words, be aware of
them, but ignore them.  You are telling your horse with body language that they
aren't important, aren't worth bothering with.

Horses are so much more adept at reading body language than we ever imagined.
He can feel your tenseness and react to it before you realize it's
happening.  If your work at controlling your body language by concentrating on
your
breathing and not focusing on scaries, it will help him relax.

It won't happen overnight.  Ride with others, or go slower until you can
control your reactions, and until the at-home ground training that catfish
suggested kicks in.  And good luck.  You DO wear a helmet, right?  jeri
By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is
noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience,
which is the bitterest.
~  Confucius