RE: [RC] rider fear - Catfish Daniels

Hi Juli:
I had to laugh, because your horse reminds me a lot of my 9 year old and
what he used to be like.  Well, I'll give you my 5 cents worth:

Riding lessons won't do the trick.  You can be the most balanced and
skilled rider in the world, and I guarantee you that you still wouldn't
be any safer on your horse when he pulls his sudden spooks.  Although
riding skills (and the lack thereof) can have a huge impact as to how
your horse is responding or acting, being an excellent rider does not
mean that you're any safer on an unsafe horse.  (Does that make any
sense?)

Your horse has some unsafe behavior on the trail, and the best scenario
would be to find out "why" he's spooking.  Is it a bad habit that he's
gotten away with for too long?  Does he have clowdiness in one of his
eyes that may hinder his vision and make it more scary for him?  (My
horse does have some clowdiness in his left eye and I was not aware if
it for many years).  Or is his spookiness a result of something more
severe like pain.  Yes, a horse that may not appear to be lame but has
something bothering him may very well act out by spooking at everything.
Believe it or not, it's his way of protecting himself and overreacting
because he feels vulnerable.  Cool stuff, huh?

Well, here is what I did with my horse.  With mine it was a combination
of all of the above.  His spookiness came to a screeching halt and
distant memory after I visited the horse chiropractor for the first time
and was informed that his neck had been out for years.

To make him even more bomb-proof, I decided to invest one week (doesn't
sound like much, does it?) to desensitize him in every way.  I actually
set myself up a little obstacle course on a field and played "trail
trials".  I had anything from the infamous wall-mart plastic baggies
blowing in the wind to an old bright colored curtain haging from a tree
branch, you name it - anything I could find.  Whatever he was scared of
(which is a total understatement), I made him walk up to it slowly - one
step at a time - even if it took forever to get there, until he stuck
out his neck to sniff it.  Once he started the licking and chewing and
gave me the sign of "OK, I'm alright now", I praised him, walked away
from it, and did it over and over again.

Take him in the roundpen and tie a wal-mart plastic bag to a long stick.
Work it slowly and rub it all over his body.  Start with one area and
work that area until he feels comfortable with it (start at a point
where he can actually see the bag).  Then work towards his hindquarters,
then eventually underneath his belly.  Do this exercise until you can do
it with his head being relaxed and appearing to be unbothered.  You can
have fun with this - and you'll be amazed about the results.  Practice
pulling a garden hose between his legs.  Remember, slowly, baby steps.
Repeat, repeat, repeat.  Desensitizing may not sound like running
lizzards, but it all ties together, trust me.

It sounds like a lot of work, but you can do this in one week, working
persistantly at it, and you'll have the horse you always dreamed about
by the end of that week.  Don't give up on him.  Trading him for a
different model is a shortcut, and your boy will miss you.  Besides, the
experience you'll gain by teaching him and going through the learning
steps TOGETHER with your horse, is invaluable.

Good luck,

Catfish