Re: [RC] Knives and Tools, Flashlights Etc. - Jerry Kopp

Pat,

    Having just gone through the knife search I'll tell you what I like.....had a very nice Browning, single locking blade, side clip which allows you to just slip it into a pants pocket - the blade was partially serated which helps cut through thick lead ropes or trim rubber mats.  Loved that knife but committed the cardinal sin up at Chicken Chase...NEVER, NEVER, PUT YOUR KNIFE DOWN ON ANYTHING.  So, naturally I can't find that exact knife anymore so went shopping...try everything.  Some will fit your hand like a glove some are so light/heavy you aren't going to be able to safely cut with them.  I like a locking blade but pay attention to how you have to release the blade, some release systems were very difficult and in my opinion put your fingers way to close to a sharp blade.  I have ended up buying a Benchmade, pricey, but made in the USA and guaranteed for life.  As my husband said, now that I've learned my lesson I'll probably not lose another knife so I should spend the money to get a really good one.  I do carry a Leatherman type tool in my saddle bag but prefer a good knife that I carry on me just in case.  Good luck, last thing, I also wanted a blade you can open with one hand, in an emergency if you are holding a horse I want to be able to grab and open the blade in one motion.  Most one handed knives can be set up for left or right handed use as well.  I don't want to have to look at the knife and pick a blade out.  Hope this helps.

Roxanne
Kentucky