[RC] LD BC - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Nicole z_arabs@xxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Most of the resistance to this has come from two regions.  The
group that hasn't said much is the folks who actually ride LDs in
those two regions. We've heard from the RMs, the vets, and the
endurance riders in those regions.  How about the folks coming
up through the ranks who actually RIDE most of the LDs there?
What do THEY think?

Well, I have ridden several LDs in the PS region, and imagine I'll
ride more when I am starting new horses (and I have several greenies
I'm riding right now that eventually will be competing).

The LD rides I've done were training rides for me and the horse.
As I said, any LD rides I do in the future will also be training
rides for the horse(s).  My goal has never been to race, in LD or
endurance.

The "BC" for LD rides that I've seen and really thought was great
was done as a high point vet score from all LD riders, taken from
the scores all day.  On my second or third LD I think I missed
that sucker by one A-.  And that is an award that I feel really
means something to those who win it.

I have a friend who I got interested in endurance and I have
brought her and her horse to a couple LD rides.  I can safely say
that she wouldn't expect an LD BC award judged on time, either.
On her second LD, BTW, I was on the 50 so I wasn't there to help
her pace her horse.  She got picked up by an experienced group of
LD riders and ended up over-riding her horse.  To her credit she
did realize it in the last few miles and asked them to ride off
without her while she walked her horse into camp, but that
experience scared her enough that she doesn't want to take that
horse out again (she's scared that it was that the distance was
too much for him, I can't seem to convince her that it was the
speed).  I'm not sure what the point of this antecdote was in
relation to this issue, except to point out that even a well-
meaning rider can get swept up in the speed.

I've also seen some of the LD riders that race in our region.
They usually pass me on trail and/or catch up with me at the
first VC.  There are some that the horses look good, but there
are others -- one in particular who has won several LDs recently
-- that don't look so good.  In some ways having an LD BC judged
out of the TT might be good for these folks that have horses that
are over-ridden -- IF they care about the BC award that is --
because they'll need to take better care of their horses to win
BC.

~Nicole

Of course things aren't perfect,  perfect doesn't exist on this earth.
Doesn't mean we won't go on trying to get better at what we do. Besides, if
everything was perfect today, what would you do tomorrow? Slamming each
other doesn't get anything done.
~  Dot Wiggins