Re: [RC] this post has NOTHING to do with LD ;) --feed changes at rides - Joe Long

On Mon, 3 May 2004 15:26:05 -0600, "Mcgann, Barbara"
<BarbMcGann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Good thoughts.

I've always wondered about this, too.  At our house, horses are
fed 3 times a day right on schedule, then comes a ride weekend -
you load them up with hay in front of them and its pretty much
free-choice all weekend.  Granted, they don't get as much on
Saturday, but the way they eat Friday, its a wonder they can
waddle to the start line!

Barb McGann

A major part of my philosophy of conditioning for endurance rides, is that you
don't ask your horse to do *anything* on the trail that you haven't conditioned
him to do at home.  This includes physical things like trotting downhill, and
feeding.  When possible I deliberately varied my feeding schedule and content at
home so that my horse would be used to variations in feed come ride weekend.

When I was living in an area without much hardpack trail available to get Kahlil
used to concussion, I not only trotted and even cantered downhill for training,
I sometimes trotted on pavement.  To teach him that he only got to go on the
pavement when I put him there, whenever I trotted pavement I trotted right down
the middle of the road (a quiet country road, of course!).

The point is that whatever a horse is going to encounter at a ride, he should
have been prepared for during his conditioning.

--

Joe Long
jlong@xxxxxxxx

I don't think you have to join a gym or buy frilly outfits to get some
fitness.  A decent set of shoes and a 15 minute dismount here and there
will help.
~  Jon K. Linderman, Ph.D., FACSM, Assistant Professor of Health and Sport
Science, University of Dayton