[RC] 25 mile rides - circa 1975 - KYielding

Back somewhere around 1975 a friend of mine named Nancy DeRosset called and asked if I could help work on an endurance ride she was putting on.  You bet I could.  I had read some about Tevis and loved the idea.  I worked a couple of rides and then also rode in two different rides somewhere around the mid '70s; Trask Mt. and Flying M.  Both these rides offered 25 mile rides.  They were not called Limited Distance; they were 25 mile endurance rides.  I never heard of LD until I started reading ridecamp in 1999, when I came back to wanting to ride Tevis someday (found out that swinging bridge really wasn't that bad!).

I cringe every time I see LD mentioned in a subject line on Ridecamp.  Trashing the 25 milers again.  This is the distance I do at this time although I hope to graduate to a 50 by the end of this year.  But, I'm close to 70, have had one total knee replacement and am just past a little cut and scrape on the other knee a week ago.   Maybe I'll attain my goals and maybe I won't but I sure will keep trying.

I don't see all the problems with LD rider's horses which are alluded to frequently in these posts.  Seems like most of the treated horses I have seen are 50 milers and over.  Maybe that's just a coincidence; maybe I just haven't been aware of it.

If I come in 30th out of 60 I'm not interested in showing for BC.  I could not possibly feel I had deserved it.  If I were at a ride that had such a drawing I probably would not participate.  I want to ride and take care of my horse and get what we earn and deserve as a team.

But then, that's just my opinion...I could be wrong.

Kathleen Yielding
NW Oregon
AERC #M22046
PNER # 884