[RC] Survivor Ride - Day 2 - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Monica Bennett mbennett_pcr@xxxxxxxxxxx or
ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I just wanted to chime in on Kim?s comments.  This was by far and away the best
ride I?ve ever ridden.  The trail was amazing.

Having ridden the Sunland ride several times and the Old Warrior?s water hunt
this year, I was very nervous to bite off a two-day ride by the same ride
manager in the same trail area.  When Vickie says a ride is tough and you?ll
need every skill in the book to do it, and don?t you dare come if you aren?t
really ready, I believe her.  She?s never once over stated her rides and this
was no different, but what she never says is that she always has what you need
and is a consummate ride manager who always delivers what counts.

This was a special ride and I?m very thankful to Vickie, her crew and The Duck
for putting it on.  I sure hope they do it again next year and encourage
everyone to get it on their ride calendar.  It is not to be missed.

Day 2 was much like day one, but we had the pleasant surprise of having the
Duck ride with us.  So there were four riders total on Day 2 all completed and
Dick Fonseca got BC.  (The Duck, Dick, myself and John Parke).

The Duck said all throughout the day and after the ride that you couldn?t find
a better ride to prepare for Tevis.  He said the conditions were practically
identical.  Like Day 1, most of the trail was single track, much of it under
the canopy of enormous Cedars and Pines.  The footing was perfect.  I know that
is hard to believe for those of you who have done Sunland, but the footing was
perfect.  The trail was well marked and Vickie had water every 5 to 10 miles.
We rode about 10 miles of the trail we rode on Saturday, otherwise the rest of
the way back was a different route and just as scenic.

The trail reminded me a great deal of the Bear Valley ride (though I?ve only
done the 30 there) and the Mt. Laguna 50.  Beautiful forests and vistas.  On
Day 1 we crested the mountains and could see the Bouquet Canyon rocks and the
trails where Hog Wild, The Davenport Dare and the old Little Rock ride are at.
On Day 2 we could see the ocean from the other side of the mountains.  The wild
flowers were beautiful and we crossed natural water several times.  Both days
there was green grass along the trail for the horses to graze.  Though there
were several climbs, there were also many miles of easy grades and easy
descents and you could really move out for miles along the soft carpeting of
the forest trails.  The down hill only had a couple of sections where it was
steep, most of it was easy grades that made them very easy to trot.  We made
good time on the second day, finishing around 2:30 just as the heat was really
kicking in.

I can?t say enough about how incredible of a ride it was and how beautiful and
amazing the Pacific Coast Trail is.  The trail is meant for point-to-point
rides, because it begs to be scene and explored.  It is too bad the Duck
doesn?t have a PCT 5 day XP ride.  That would be something!

Many thanks again to Vickie Greene, what would this sport be without her????

Hopefully we?ll all get the chance to ride this ride next year.

Monica & Inde