Re: [RC] Heat and Conditioning - heidi

Another question, what about electrolytes?  I know some of you are for
and  some against.  I'm not sure how to tell if my mare needs them, when
to use them  on conditioning rides etc.  At this time, I'm just adding
table salt into her  twice daily mash.  I haven't ever electrolyted her
at all (of course we  haven't competed yet either).  She's a good
drinker, will drink out of the mud  puddles if I let her.

No, no, no, it isn't about "for" or "against"--it is about learning your
horse's individual needs and not just shoving them down there without
first figuring out how that individual works.  Elyte needs are all over
the map.  I admittedly try hard to SELECT horses that don't need elytes
because they are efficient with what they get, they eat like pigs, and
they drink well.  And the times I've "run the numbers" at rides, it's been
clear that these particular individuals are doing just fine.  They go into
exercise with a gutful of grass hay (which is chockful of lytes) and
water, and work off that like a camel!

By the same token, some horses DO need lots of elytes--they are apparently
less efficient with what they lose in sweat, or they don't eat as well, or
it takes more to trigger their thirst response, or whatever, or all of the
above.  But if you just shove them in willy-nilly without figuring out
first where your horse is on the scale, so to speak, you may actually hurt
more than you help.

The more fit she gets, the less she sweats also.  With the dry windy
heat we  have, not sure if it's just drying faster than I realize.

Probably the latter.

Anyway, I just want  some feed back on how/when/how much I should start
her on to see how she  reacts.

Is she eating well?  Drinking well?  Has good gut sounds?  Good
recoveries?  Lots of energy?  Maybe she doesn't need them.  If, OTOH, she
has less than optimal energy in the heat, doesn't pork out on forages, and
doesn't drink well, then you have to start experimenting.

Not as hot here as what you have, by any means, but it was way hot for us
at Purple Passion this past weekend compared to what we're used to (we had
ice on the water at home several mornings the week before), and our
"nawthern" horses from high elevations still have part of their winter
jammies left.  (And no, I'm not gonna clip, since I have to come home
again after the ride, and the weatherman said something about snow later
this week...)  This past weekend I rode a neat little horse that my hubby
has been riding--he is built like a radiator, and although he doesn't eat
as rapidly as I'd like, he is a persistent eater (had to haul his nose out
of the food at the last two checks to bridle up) and he drank like a big
suction hose all day long.  It was culture shock for him, because he did
his first 75--but he was forward and eager the whole ride.  He was not
gaunted up afterward, and he wasn't particularly interested in the
free-choice loose salt mix that was in his portable corral.  Am I gonna
"experiment" with lytes on this horse?  Heck, no!

See how your horse does, and look for signs that she needs them.  If she
does, start introducing some.  If she is doing everything right without
them, don't do it just because everyone else is doing it.  It takes three
seasons to "make" a horse--you shouldn't be going fast enough in the
initial stages to be pushing the envelope on lytes anyway, at least not
for most horses.

Heidi

Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough
~  Theodore Roosevelt