Re: [RC] Heat and conditioning - heidi

Do you ride/condition in high temps?  Do you have a temperature cut off?

Yes, since the only way they can acclimate to working in heat is to go
condition in it.  Ride slow, ride smart, and use the same cautions you
would at a hot ride--lots of water available, lots of sponging, etc.  But
I always feel better about going to rides in heat if the horses are
acclimated to it and have worked in it.

If you go to a ride, at what point do you say, it's too hot, not good
for the  horse?

Some horses take heat better than others.  Of the two I'm riding now, one
takes it well, one doesn't.  So knowing your own horse is a factor.  And
look at the heat index--add the temperature Fahrenheit to the relative
humidity.  The midwesterners and southeasterners can likely tell you more
about the heat index cutoffs, but if memory serves, it pays to get pretty
twitchy about things if the index goes much over 160.

If you have a dry 104, you can sponge like crazy and it will evaporate
well and help cool.  If you have 90 and a humidity of 80, you can more or
less stew the horse in his own juices, so to speak, and you have to be
careful to sponge and then scrape the water off as it warms, and sponge
again...

Having spent most of my life in relatively arid areas, I don't worry much
about riding at 100 degrees as long as there is plenty of water and as
long as horse and I are both acclimated to it.  But I'm used to areas that
have humidity in the teens or single digits when it is that hot.  My big
question about going to a ride in that sort of heat would be wanting to
know that the RM understands the need for water and has planned for its
availability.

And of course, the big thing--RIDE TO THE WEATHER!  Slow down, so you
don't get the heat buildup in the first place.  Hot weather rides are
survival rides.

Heidi

Many of the endurance riders in our top echelons of competition, now and in
the past, exemplify the 'common man' not the hierocracy. It is this
possibility, this chance to come to the fore, that makes endurance
competition of the Aussie/American type so much more desirable to part of
the world.
~  Bob Morris