[RC] Winding Stair - Susan Young

Hello all!

I'd just like to congratulate Jeanetta Sturgeon and her MASSIVE crew of volunteers/slaves for a VERY successful ride Saturday!

Due to heavy rains and flash floods (welcome to OK), Jeanetta had to change the 50 mile trail Friday.  That worked out well; the trail was VERY doable and beautiful.  I'm glad I got to see it twice.

I had just the BEST time riding with folks I've not gotten to ride with but have known since forever!  I also met Maryann from FL and her sister Susan now residing in Tulsa.  What neat ladies!  Thanks to my friend Winnie, I know that mud-puddle water splashed into your mouth by a horse will NOT kill you (my horse splashed that concoction into her mouth...she's still alive) and Maryann, Cathie Birmingham, Alexis Jones and Winnie Wineinger kept me in stitches all day!  What a fun way to spend a wet and cold day.  I wouldn't have wanted to be anywhere else!

Jeanetta somehow roped a local ham radio club into helping on trail.  They were at road crossings making sure riders were safe from oncoming traffic (or visa versa).  She also got a local riding club to help her mark trails...which there were TERRIFIC at!  The local volunteer fire department smoked chicken which was SO good!  She warned us about horse-eating chickens at the bar just before the finish line but I never saw them...?  My little group DID call ahead for beer and wine and the saloon patrons cheered us on as we passed.

Winding Stair was a really neat ride!  Great camping, heated bath/showers, pavilion, beautiful trails, excellent training for the "big" rides, well-marked trails and wonderful people.  Hope to see y'all there next year!

Susan [Young], The Wicked Princess of Pink
Semper Obliquo (Always aside)

Glenndale Grace Farm, Ft Gibson, Oklahoma U.S.A.

"Ride on! Rough-shod if need be, smooth-shod if that will do, but ride on! Ride on over all obstacles, and win the race!" - Charles Dickens (1812-1870)