[RC] Mustang removal/Douglas area cross post - Laurie Durgin

found this, if anyone in the area interested

Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 06:17:18 -0000 From: "horseatv" <horseboat@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> Subject: Please help these wild horses out

I just got back from a mustang club meeting, so I'm all fired up
about this.

The BLM here in Colorado wants to remove all the horses from the West
Douglas Herd Area in Rio Blanco county. This is a designated wild
horse herd area, but because of ranching/cattle/oil-and-gas drilling
pressures, they want to remove every single wild horse.

As is typical, they're not letting a lot of people know of this
decision. The public is being allowed to make comments to them until
May 5, 2004. Here's more of the details:

BLM Colorado - White River Field Office - wild horses and burros -
land use planning
I was told the wild horses in this area are genetically unique and
that a study shows these herds are probably descended from the
Spanish horses: the Barb and Jennet. This means these horses probably
pre-date the ranches. The conclusion of one study is that this herd
should be maintained at the highest number possible to maintain a
good gene pool.

There are seven plans being considered. Plans A and B call for the
complete removal of the horses. C through F call for partial removals
with smaller area. I'm asking them to adopt Plan G, which means the
current area will of 123,387 acres will be fenced but no removal of
horses. (This allows for a maximum herd size of 310-643 horses.)

If you belong to any horse groups or any other group that might be
interested in helping these horses, please share this email with
them. I know mustangs compete in both AERC and NATRC events. I would
appreciate it if people could send emails to bob_fowler@xxxxxxxxxx
asking them to adopt Plan G and not remove any wild horses from the
West Douglas Herd Area. If you have a mustang or know one, share that
information with him. I was also told you should put your name and
street address on your email so they know you're a real person.
Email addresses with no other information doesn't hold a lot weight.

Again, these emails must be sent before May 5, 2004. That's the last
day of the comment period.

Thank you!!

Candy

FREE pop-up blocking with the new MSN Toolbar ? get it now! http://toolbar.msn.com/go/onm00200415ave/direct/01/

Personally, I shouldn't give a s--- where the other people on the course
are, and if I find myself starting to concern myself over this, I remind
myself that this is the first step on the road to overriding my horse and
tell myself to "knock it off!"        :)
~  Kat Swigart