Re: [RC] the anaerobic state - heidi

Would a larger horse need to get his heart rate up higher to be in the
anaerobic state?  Would a larger horse tend to have higher heart rates
(more mass to get blood to)?  By larger I just mean a good sized horse,
not obese.  Does amount of conditioning affect these things?

Dede
Team Slow Poke

Across species, the larger the animal, the lower the heartrate.

Within species, there are so many variables that it is hard to
predict--but the more body mass, the more work has to be done just to MOVE
the body mass, so in general, the quicker the animal is going to become
anaerobic.  As to the heart rate--it depends on the heart size and the
heart efficiency (which determine the stroke volume), the fitness level,
likely the relative number of fast twitch vs slow twitch muscle fibers,
and all sorts of other things.  (And yes, the amount of conditioning
affects this--as well as the TYPE of conditioning.)

Heidi

I still prefer what it is that BH100, Tevis, The Duck's Soup of Endurance,
etc. has to offer...but, to see a horse canter over sand for those
distances...Good Lord, it humbles me.
~  Frank Solano