Re: [RC] Drinking - Tracy Cann

My basic problem is this has happened at both rides I've been on. Not the grabby thing, but the people shoving in to let their horses drink. Doimas will back off and stop drinking.  I thought we were supposed to be polite?

I know, I know, I'm a Newbie, and probably shouldn't be complaining about anything, but this is annoying and I don't think I'm the only one out there who has had the experience.

Speak up girl!!!  Newbie, oldie, or inbetweenie it don't matter.  When someone is coming up and you think this might happen say "Hey, can you guys wait about 30 seconds here.  My horse is new and will "not" drink if another horse comes up close to him.  I really appreciate it."  "Or can you guys stay over there please, my horse is real insecure and gets scared of strange horses and won't drink."  It might not always work, especially if the drinking area is really crowded but you might be surprised how helpful people can be.  When you're riding an experienced horse you sometimes take it for granted that your horse isn't bothered by distractions while drinking.  Of course some people are just inconsiderate and you can't change them but you can always just yell at them.  It won't change their behavior but "you'll" feel better.  I always try and ask before my water hog barges in and I really try to keep him to himself because he is somewhat aggressive, but a vocal reminder wouldn't bother me at all.  I feel lucky to be riding a good drinker now but that wasn?t always the case.  And if it's ever me pushing your horse away from the water please just say "Yo Tracy, What is your problem!??!  Back off before I smack you!!  I will understand.

Tracy