[RC] Trail Judges - Tracy Cann - Jonni Jewell

Howard had been saying when he was running top ten at some rides, he thought
it was very easy to know who was where on the trail. I mentioned he should
come to the Grasslands, where all the vet checks are in one spot, for all
distances, and there are 4 different loops, with riders out on most of them
at any given time. Your comment was that you've "done the LBJ Grasslands
ride many times and never had a problem knowing who was in front and behind
me". Being a middle of the pack rider, I just found that kind of funny,
because that would be a lot of riders to be keeping track of during the day.
That was all. The original point of this discussion, was what to do about
those who cut trail. Some riders, like yourself obviously, feel you would
know who was ahead of behind you all day, and would know if at the end of
the day, positions had change, thus indicating someone cut trail. And say
you DID feel someone must have cut trail, as they are suddenly ahead of you.
What kind of proof do you have? It comes down to a he said she said
situation. My point was, that if MANAGEMENT feels they need to put spotters,
token buckets, punch cards, or photo surveillance or what ever on the trail,
that is their choice. I also mentioned I don't feel we need any kind of RULE
that they must provide the fore mentioned anti-trail cutting devices. Some
rides have more opportunities to cut trail than others. Rides with multiple
loops, usually also have many other trails between the trails used that day,
that if someone is bent on cheating, they very well could take the
opportunity to do so.

If riders are going to cheat, they are going to cheat.(especially if they
never get caught)  If it is not by cutting trail, they very well could do
other things that would stretch the rules to the limits. The only way they
might be stopped, is to actually have SOLID proof, that a rider did indeed
break the rules, and one could file a protest if they so wished. Hearsay is
not going to hold up in a protest.

Every region has riders that are whispered about behind their backs, and
referred to as "very competitive". Speculation is they cut trail, cheat, and
might even push the limits on things that could jeopardize the welfare of
the horse. There were a few riders in CA that we just hated to have show up
at rides, as we were convinced they broke rules, and often felt horses were
being brought to rides that were under the influence of prohibited
medications, but we could never actually CATCH them. The wanted to win at
just about any cost.  My personal opinion is (and yes Tracy, maybe there is
some anger here) is that while trail cutting is a fairly mild rule
infraction compared to others, those who do so, are much more prone to break
other rules, and push the limits more and more, until the horse could indeed
be put at risk.

And Tracy, if you want to see me at a ride, you will have to look over your
shoulder, as the chances are, I'll be behind you...in the back of the
pack....nothing wrong with that either.....

Jonni

There are 2 ways to win at this sport. You take a horse and race him for a
short time and then find a new horse or you can take one horse , do the
homework and spend many miles and years enjoying that horse.
~  Paddi Sprecher