Re: [RC] Myhorse's black spots - Chris Paus

Well, that's weird, but good news, eh?  chris

Marinera@xxxxxxx wrote:
Several weeks ago I sent a message to ridecamp in regard to the black spots
my 24 year old grey Arabian gelding was getting. A treatment with steroids did
not slow down the development of the spots. He now has more. A biopsy report
has been sent to me which is in such technical language I am hard pressed to
understand it ie: 1. Moderate to abundant epidermal and follicular
infundibular hyperpigmentation (melanoderma or lentigo 2. Mild lymphocytic peribulbar
infiltration. Comments include: "Melanoderma is usually acquired condition and
most commonly associated with chronic dermatitis. However, I do not observe
evidence of inflammation of the epidermis and dermis. Therefore, this lesion
is likely a letigo which is an idiopathic macular melanosis of horses.
Lentigines are usually appear as an annular, non-palpable dark black spots with
age..."
While my veterinarian has never seen this condition in a horse before
(although he says it is not too unusual in cats), he says that he foresees no
treatment necessary and that he does not feel the horse's general health and
longevity are compromised by the condition.

I want to thank all the people who contacted me privately and though
ridecamp. I appreciate your concern and interest. And if any of you see me trotting
down the trail on an appaloosa, remember looks can deceive. He is really a
purebred Arabian.
Julie Suhr
Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough
~ Theodore Roosevelt

"A good horse makes short miles," George Eliot

Chris and Star

BayRab Acres
http://pages.prodigy.net/paus