[RC] from Stonebruise to Puffy Knee - Tracy Cann

Just wanted to get some opinions here since I'm grounded.  A few days ago my horse had a slight lameness in his RF.  It had been 3-4 weeks since his last ride and he seemed fine before but I hadn't had time to ride much after his last ride.  Anyway, he was shod on a Wednesday and showed up lame on Friday.  I thought maybe a "hot nail" or a freshly uncovered stone bruise (last ride was rocky).  Banged on the nails and he didn't care, had to take daughter to horse show so made appointment with vet ASAP (Monday).  After my explanation vet thought it was probably a hot nail, stone bruise or abscess even though hoof testers didn't show much.  He blocked the hoof to make sure, and horse was still lame.  Blocked the ankle, still lame.  Blocked from just below the knee down, still lame.  Off to x-ray we go.  Knee looks fine on x-ray but is ever so slightly puffy, and horse consistently slightly lame.  The vet ended up taking some fluid from the knee and said it looked fine.  After some deliberation we ended up deciding to inject some cortisone in the knee.  I know cortisone can be good and bad depending on what exactly you do with it.  The horse is 10 years old and the knee always seemed slightly puffy compared to the other one (hindsight being 20/20 and all) though he was never lame.  Also there's a very large old splint in that leg just below the knee on the inside.  We x-rayed that to make sure it wasn't doing anything and it wasn't.  It's weird that this lameness showed up right after the shoeing but neither I or the vet could make a logical connection with that.  It's Wednesday and the knee is no longer puffy at all (horse looks great in fact) but I'm not supposed to do anything like trotting him in hand for at least 2 weeks (of course no riding).  I guess we'll see if he's lame then.  The vet said if he's still lame to bring him right back and to call him even if he's sound.  Could this have been connected with the large splint injury just below it and just not showed up till I rode this horse for a year or so?  Probably too much time between, who knows.  Not sure if I did the right thing with the cortisone but I've always been able to depend on this vet and he recommended it.  Can just one injection damage a joint?  I don't plan making a habit of using cortisone injections.  I really don't know that much about it and need to learn more.  I know there are other therapies out there.  My favorite has always been "enough time off to heal".  (I lean toward the simple.)  Any opinions or thoughts appreciated.

Sincerely, Horse ever so slightly lame and owner ever so slightly bummed out,

Tracy