[RC] timothy V three grain hay - which is more fattening? - elsietee

My usual supply of orchard + 10% alf hay
dried up recently, so I came home from the
feed store with some timothy (which I've
fed previously) and some nice clean "three
grain mix" hay.

I know this is vague without having the hay
tested, but which would you feed to a horse
for fattening purposes (given that the horse
in question will seldom eat more than 15 lbs
of *any* type of hay)?

The timothy is fine stemmed and grown up by
the OR/CA border, I believe.

The "three grain" is a fat-stemmed mix of rye,
oat, and beardless barley. No idea where it's
grown, but likely No. CA/OR direction. (It
smells lovely, like cookies).

I have two fat, non-working, horses and one
working-at-keeping-his-weight-on horse training
for Tevis.

Ideally I want the fat ones thinner and the
thin one fatter <grin>.

Thanks.

Lucy Chaplin Trumbull
elsietee AT foothill DOT net
Repotted english person in the Sierra foothills, California
By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is
noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience,
which is the bitterest.
~  Confucius