Re: [RC] Torn Hamstring - Julie Fuller

Barbara,

I live in the Great Northwest!!!! Specifically, Washougal, Washington, 23 miles east of Portland Oregon, but on the North side of the Columbia River.

The weather this spring has been a bit different this year. We had a huge blizzard in early January which dumped feet! of snow, and included single digit temps, and 50+ mph winds resulting in drifts from 3 to 14 feet. Quite spectacular! (The actual "blizzard" conditions were pretty local.... Portland Metro area got lots of snow, but we here in the Columbia River Gorge got the added attractions)

The weather cleared, but our snow hung around for nearly a month. Then it got nice. Really nice. It normally does in Feb, but usually only for a week or three (enough to tease us into thinking spring is here) but this year it lasted until about a week ago. It's been raining quite a bit, but by this weekend, it's supposed to be back into sunny and 65-80 again. I was VERY glad for the rain..... it was getting way too dry for this time of year!

To give you an indication of dry.... last year I had the garden tilled in mid-May, and it was barely dry enough to get a decent till on it. I had the garden tilled in mid March, and it was drier than last year! I've even gotten sunburned a couple times already! Usually that doesn't happen till June or July! *grin*

I can't remember the last time I put fly masks on the horses in early March, or had to water ANYTHING this time of year. The grass is coming on so well, I've had to cut way back on the horse feed, and tie up the pony so she won't explode. I was thrilled to get the blankets off the horses, though..... my horses are out 24/7 and wear waterproof sheets all winter. I don't actually blanket much, it's keeping them dry that's important (and full of hay) and the sheets give them a lot of protection from the ever-howling winds. During the blizzard I had a fleece blanket, a blanket, a waterproof sheet, and a hood on all of them. They came through just fine, but it was a lot of work for about a week..... I had to feed several times a day because the wind blew the hay away so fast. ( I bet someone in Washougal is wondering where all the hay came from!)

Julie

"There's no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothes"

REAL endurance is taking your non-horsey family to a ridecamp with you!
~ Heidi Sowards