Re: [RC] Torn Hamstring - Julie Fuller

Angela,

I had a mare pull a hamstring several years ago. She didn't tear it. She did this by wrapping herself up in a too long leadrope, then falling down with the rope around her rear leg, very effectively jerking her leg up at a very unnatural angle.

Six weeks later I went to my first ride on this mare.( I think it was in March) Needless to say, she didn't pass the vet in. She was very slightly off, and it wasn't consistent. No bobbing, just a slight elevation of one hip over the other at a trot. I couldn't see it at first, but after having someone else trot her out, directly away from me, I DID see it.

I was pretty forlorn when the vets told me that she may always have a little "hitch in her get-along" depending on how it healed. I gave her a couple months of time off, then light riding (she was in awesome shape) and attempted another ride late that fall (End of September)

She passed the vet in, and did absolutely awesome for 42 miles of a fast flat race. Due to my inexperience, the excruciating cold (It was 24 that morning!), and lack of a butt-rugg, she cramped during our last hold. So I pulled. By the time we loaded her in the trailer and drove back to camp, (about an hour) she was fine. Knowing what I know now, I should have kept her walking till the cramp went away, then finished. I was running in the top 10, so I would have had plenty of time. But I was concerned because of her previous injury, and didn't want to take the chance. Live and learn!

If you find your horse actually has damaged the hamstring, I'd imagine recovery and rehab would be similar to humans. Ice, heat, anti-inflammatories, rest, then light work, etc. My husband used to run marathons and triathlons, and torn a hamstring while he was fit for competition. He healed up just fine. He later pulled the other one, while not in competition condition, ( but still in pretty damn good shape) and it healed up well too. It surprised me, because I saw the pictures of his thigh when it was black and blue from butt cheek to ankle and about 7 inches bigger around than it should have been! He doesn't seem to have any "gait irregularities either. *grin*

I hope this has been helpful.

Julie, who is grateful for rider histories online... it sure has helped sort out the seven years of photos I've been putting in albums! (It's been pouring and in the 40's here)

It is how we "feel" deep inside that matters, cause each of us knows the
truth, regardless of how we try make it complicated.  It just isn't.
~ Frank Solano