[RC] Volunteering at Rides - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Christina CSchiro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Since I am interested in doing both CTR and ER's but my experience has been
limited to reading about it, I thought it would be best to actually volunteer
to see what REALLY happens or doesn't happen at these rides. In March I
voluntered as the Horsemanship Judge's Secretary at the Spanish Trail NATRC
CTR. This past weekend, I voluntered as a timer, Pulse taker, and vet scribe at
the Ponce de Leon ride. Both times I was there for the duration: the ride
briefing to the awards ceremony. They were really good experiences and I
learned a lot of little things about both sports that you can not get just by
reading about it, no matter how many different books and website you read
(which I have done). I realize each ride is run a little differently, so I am
planning at volunteering at a 2nd NATRC CTR in late May, and I am not sure
about when for the ER yet. I would encourage all newbies to volunteer at rides
to see what the sport is really like (without actually riding in one!). I think
I am so much more ahead of the game for when I start competing this fall or
next year on.
Christina

reading the LD vs. Endurance thread/debate every 3
months!!!
~ Heidi Sowards