Re: [RC] [RC] hair loss: mites? Lice? ....? - Laurie Durgin

If he ruled out ringworm, then lice, gnats, midges, black flies. . . creating an allergic reaction. I heard a vet say Kenny Rodgers had a herd of horses on some swampy land and he said they all did this, and it turned out to be a bug allergy. They were all exposed to it and eventually they all reacted.Usually takes a couple years to show up.. .. . FWIW

From: rides2far@xxxxxxxx
To: walkergirl@xxxxxxxxxx
CC: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [RC]   hair loss: mites?  Lice? ....?
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 15:26:43 -0400

Had two ponies who did that. Only thing I found that killed them (lice)
was the bedding spray that's in the human lice treatment area of the drug
store. I had a can I'd been given to spray the batting  helmets when I
coached. Unloaded it on the pony and no more problems. This was after I'd
tried lice powder and dip.

Angie

On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 12:40:33 -0400 "A. Perez" <walkergirl@xxxxxxxxxx>
writes:
>   The farm where I field board is currently suffering from an
> epidemic of hairloss.  Most of the 20+ horses have patches of
> hair loss or areas where the hair is broken off at the skin
> surface in large irregular patches - look like they've been
> shaved.  At first I thought it was due to rubbing, but it is
> showing up on areas that would be impossible for a horse to rub.
> It does not look anything like rain-rot (no scabs, bumps or
> dust), and does not appear to itch or be sore.
>
> Any suggestions as to cause or treatments would be most
> appreaciared.  My vet is treating several of the horses and is
> not sure what is going on.

> Get your own "800" number
> Voicemail, fax, email, and a lot more
> http://www.ureach.com/reg/tag
> When you ask a Quarter horse for something he says - Sure -  and
> when you
> ask an Arab for something he says  - Why? -
> ~  Heidi Smith
>
> ridecamp.net information: http://www.endurance.net/ridecamp/

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming --WOW-- what a ride !! "

________________________________________________________________ The best thing to hit the Internet in years - Juno SpeedBand! Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER! Only $14.95/ month - visit www.juno.com to sign up today! ============================================================ It is how we "feel" deep inside that matters, cause each of us knows the truth, regardless of how we try make it complicated. It just isn't. ~ Frank Solano

REAL endurance is taking your non-horsey family to a ridecamp with you!
~ Heidi Sowards