Re: [RC] choke - Ibiteraaarr

The only advice I have in regards for choking is alfalfa cubes. My horse's feed
is always a soupy mash, so that hasn't presented any problem. But wouldn't you
know it Easter Sunday I was giving him a few alfalfa cubes and next thing I
know he's hacking and gagging and large globs of mucous, saliva and alfalfa are
dripping out of his nostrils. Made a couple phone calls to the vet, and he came
out just to be on the safe side and put a tube down Loki's throat. Between the
rompun and bute, Loki was feeling really good but I'm totally dreading the bill
for this emergency vet call on a holiday :T I'd never seen a horse choke before
so it was a new experience. As far as prevention for choking on feed, can't say
I've ever had that trouble, but I also add lots of water to Loki's beet pulp
and sweet fix mix, regardless of whether it's a conditioning day or not.

One would think that logic would prevail. But then, if logic did prevail,
men would ride sidesaddle.
~  Bob Morris