[RC] Iraq-hoping not to let this drag off in the direction of wolves - Barbara Goldthorpe

Regardless of the reason that we went into Iraq, the fact remains (at least IMO), that when you see someone (or some country) in trouble (or in the grasps of a tyrannical dictator who takes great joy in the genocide of his own people), and you can do something about it, you have a moral obligation to fulfill.
I don't want to get into politics here, because we're already so far off-topic already.  However, Bush reminded me of Churchill back in the 30s.  Churchill (the most intellectual prime minister Britain has ever seen, a great, great man), patiently repeated himself over and over to Parliament, with the basic implications that Germany was rearming and shouldn't someone be doing something about it?  (There is a lot of speculation that FDR wanted to go to war, and provoked Pearl Harbour by enforcing Japanese trade embargos.  He was in favour, the rest of the country was freaking out.  Note the Cash and Carry Acts, and the Lend-Lease act-1937-1940).
Additionally, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize that when the UN tells you, 'you've got 180 days to let the UN weapons inspectors in the country,' you're going to take that time and move out whatever the hell you've got in your country.  Of course they didn't find WMD.
I do understand North Korea was more of an imminent threat (I practice a Korean martial art, I know a fair bit about Korea), and yes, it really should be addressed now.
However, the point is that Saddam is gone and can no longer feed his people to plastic grinders.  Hopefully Bush will go through with his plan to withdraw from Iraq on June 30th.  I think he's quite concerned with the 9/11 commission right now actually.  (And I happen to know for a fact that there was fair warning of this event, left very nicely by Clinton, with a large post-it note that said, 'read me now!'  My boyfriend's father is a retired Secret Service agent, and worked for the Bush Sr. and Clinton Administrations.  Oh the stories he can tell!)
That's my 3 cents, (or I should say, 3pence, I am English).
Even if I don't stand behind Bush, I do stand behind Blair.  When he made the decision to support the US, it wasn't for oil.  P.M. Blair is not a TX cowboy.

> Hi Folks: On the French people: at least they had the "BRAINS" and
> "GOOD" leadership to stay out of IRAQ.

We'll have to agree to disagree about that as well, Mr. Proe, but then we
really ARE getting off-topic.  At least the empowering of the federal
government to force federal land issues down our throats relates to the
endangering of our riding trails...

I WILL paraphrase your post though, and say that our "GOOD" leadership and
"BRAINS" that kept us out of WWII when a similar dictator was running all
over Europe eventually cost millions of lives worldwide, including several
magnitudes more American lives than have been lost in Iraq.  Astute
leaders learn from history.  Leaders bent on currying favor with the
masses who don't read history either are doomed to repeat it.

Barbara Goldthorpe
bgoldtho@xxxxxxx

The air of heaven is that which blows between a horse`s ears.
~  Arabian Proverb