Re: [RC] mixing the two - heidi

Hi. I'm just interested in knowing if anyone has an opinion. I have a
reason  for asking so here goes.
Does anyone think that it's possible to mix horse showing and
endurance/CTR  with the same horse? I mean, anything is possible but I
think it would be tough  to do.

Why should it be tough to do?  Last fall, my husband took up-and-coming
endurance gelding Zeffer to a show in between endurance rides and won the
Sport Horse Under Saddle class and placed in another class.  I know
several folks who do dressage during the off season.  When our stallion
Aur Bold Tribute was actively endurance riding, we took him to his one and
only show; his dressage was a little lumpy, but he took a nice Reserve
Championship purebred stallion Sport Horse In Hand (at age 18, no less).

If a horse is well enough trained to really be FUN to endurance ride
(granted, I think these are in the minority--too many people don't take
the time) he ought to be able to show just fine.  Personally, I prefer to
do endurance on horses that have spent some time doing something else
too--they are SO much easier to rate, etc.

My foundation stallion Surrabu (first horse I ever used for endurance) was
reasonably successful at the open shows in western, saddle seat, hunt
seat, gaming, etc., and was also ridden in a parade drill unit and was
used as a pony horse at Les Bois Park.  Heck, if you could do it on a
horse, I did it on him.  No problem.  But again, he was a well-broke horse
first and foremost.

Kudos to the instructor who wants the kids to try endurance to get to know
and read their horses better--I think it's a fabulous idea!

Heidi

Prudence and focus will carry you a long way on a horse.
~  Frank Solano