[RC] Application method (# of nails) for Ground Control shoes - sharon1359

Can I get away with only 4 nails in each of the hind shoes?  Here's why, since I
know people will ask.

Zephyr gets his GC shoes reset tomorrow.  Last year, as per suggestions from
someone here on RideCamp, we used six nails in each shoe, plus an extra nail in
the toe area.  I've already decided to skip using the toe-area nails this year.
We have been leaving the clinches nice and long, and they DO NOT seem to have
any issues with loosening up.  If they did I would tighten them again... I do
have clinchers.

Here's my problem.  Zephyr has only had shoes put on three times, and you can
tell... especially when it comes to his hind feet.  I've put a lot of time into
trying to desensitize him to it, but it hasn't helped with his hind feet.  He
still tries to grab his leg away the entire time.  My farrier last year managed
ok in spite of that, but this year I've had to change farriers.  This one
doesn't have the strength to hold Zephyr's leg still long enough to get all
those nails into each hind shoe!

So my question is, how many nails do we really NEED to be putting in each hind
shoe?

Thanks,
-Sharon K. & Zephyr's Elegant Gift ("OH that feels awful Mom, make her stop!!")
When you ask a Quarter horse for something he says - Sure -  and when you
ask an Arab for something he says  - Why? -
~  Heidi Smith