[RC] P.S. to Ray in Virginia - Cindy Collins

My horse owning buddy in Montana has 60,000 acres of public land adjoining
his property line.That's why he bought the place.Pretty nice deal for
him,provided by all of us!

Ray:  My husband and I, too, bought our home adjacent to public land.
That's a decision that we made which involved a tremendous amount of
sacrifice.  We decided to cut our pay in half, live far from the amenities
that many people take for granted...good medical facilities, decent
shopping and transportation, etc.  Live in a much more modest home on less
land than we could have in other places (wealthy retired folks trying to
escape what they have done to their environment in other parts of the
country have driven up mountain western land/house costs dramatically in
recent years even though pay is below average and unemployment high).  I
am not whining, just saying that we all make sacrifices and pay a cost for
what is really important to us.  What hurts is that Americans in other
parts of the country, who would never live in a "backwater" place like
this, decide to add large predators and ban locals from public land use
that was part of the reason we chose to live out here despite the
hardships.  Guess we'd like a little respect and less propaganda about how
much we've devastated the land.  If we hadn't done such a good job of it,
you wouldn't be wanting to "preserve" it...it would look like the rest of
the country.  I wish I were more eloquent, but I assure you my feelings
are heart-felt.  For those of you who have ridden the Big Horn 100...did
you feel we have done such a poor job of preserving our western lands?
Cindy

They're athletes! This is a partnership between horse and rider - we don't
have any jockeys out there, just pals and partners. We'd allow a rider with
a broken foot, a sore back and a nasty cold to compete - but we would never
let a horse in a similiar condition hit the trail.
~ Dr. Barney Flemming DVM