[RC] Thanks to the NO FRILLS Management! - RISTREE

I'll second Mary Coleman's sentiments about the wonderful hospitality shown by the OD/No Frills crowd!  I was expecting bare bones, and there was soup, hot drinks, tons of help -- the wonderful guy who held my horse at the hold, Charles Coleman who dragged so much stuff hither and thither (I love Charles!), the patient vets, the Crandalls and their trail clearing crowd (not to mention the rig-dragging out of the pasture!), my cheerful horse ambulance driver and the shivering volunteers sharing the truck and getting a ride back to camp after being relieved of duties.

And the farrier, who put a hind shoe on Ned in record-breaking time, and whom I could not find to pay later on.  I heard they'd be sending invoices.  Can anyone confirm this?  I refuse to stiff the farrier!!

Alas, someone once said that endurance is 1/3 horse, 1/3 rider and 1/3 luck.  The luck didn't show up for Ned and me this weekend.  Ned stuck a foot between rocks and we fell in the first leg of the ride, and we threw a hind shoe as well.  On the second loop, we lost our snack bag of grain for that 24 mile loop, and broke a stirrup leather.  Arriving at the second hold, it turned out that the small cut we thought Ned had near his elbow from the fall was actually three deeper cuts in the folds of skin of his elbow, which were draining and nasty looking.  Ned and I had run out of quarters for the fun meter!  We called it a day.

It was wonderful to see how fresh Ned's friends Hawk and Jean DeVico's Beau looked at the finish!

Now that was an endurance ride ...

Thanks again to everyone!

--Patti Stedman