Re: [RC] Instructions for newbie crew-people? - heidi

My boyfriend is not a Horse Person, but is openminded.  In order to
spend time with me, he has said he might be willing to crew for me if he
has a really good idea what to expect... <snip>I want to give him
something to read that will tell
him what to expect from a crew-person's point of view, especially at an
endurance ride since there is a lot more for the crew to do there.
Ideally it would be written in some sort of basic terms that someone who
isn't an endurance rider will understand.

Any ideas?  Does such a thing exist??

I sure wouldn't overload on the details... In fact, I'd make it as
detail-free as possible.

Package feed for each vet check in those gallon-sized zip-lock bags ahead
of time.  Give instructions like "add water to this, and give lots of
hay," instead of some complicated recipe for how much this and how much
that. There are always some basics--water buckets, sponges, etc.--to have
on hand.  But I would avoid at all costs a list of 'to-do's' because
they're gonna change, depending on the weather, depending on how fast you
rode, depending on how the horse vetted, depending on how the horse feels,
etc.  Just give him "stuff" to have available for you, and tell him to be
attentive to your directions at each check.

Have your food somewhat organized in advance, so it is "Honey, grab me a
tuna sandwich" instead of "Honey, MAKE me a tuna sandwich."

What does HE like to do?  If he has outdoorsy interests other than horses
(bird watching?  bicycling?  rock collecting?) figure out how to make
crewing into a multipurpose trip.  ("Gee, honey, if you bring your bicycle
you can always dash back down to the rig to get something for me... :-)")

Bring a lawn chair for him and a good book.

If your horse is easy to trot out, by the third check or so, he is apt to
be bonded--let him trot your horse for the vets, if he is the sort that
seems like he could be proficient at it.

Heidi

Introduce him to the RM and teach him how to take pulses.

One of the great joys of being a pompous idiot is that you can do and think
whatever you want.
~  Homer Safferwiffle