Re: [RC] Instructions for newbie crew-people? - Kristen A Fisher

I'll give it a shot as I have crewed more than I have ridden in rides, and
am fresh from crewing for three 50 milers:

If you have a crew cart, make sure you have everything in your crew cart
that you want the night before, or firm instructions on what he should add
after you depart.  Give him an idea of when you think you will arrive after
each loop (eg, "this is a 15 mile loop, look for me in 1.25 hours...") and
where you expect to look for him in the crew area.

Give him an idea of what you will want to do when you arrive in what order,
eg:
1 - let horse drink, throw on rump rug
2 - remove bridle, halter horse, pull saddle?
3 - dump water on front of horse to cool
4 - go into P&R area (horse & crew or rider or all 3?)
5 - finish up vet check and start hold time, feed, e-lyte, etc.
6 - tack back up, rinse and repeat

Let him know that this is wait and hurry up. He will sit for over an hour
and then go through 10+ minutes of frenzied activity several times. He may
want to spend some time observing how others do things when you are out on
trail, and it's always nice to offer to hold someone's horse if they are
trying to saddle, lyte, and eat at the same time. Let him know if he starts
a conversation with someone and you come in, he is expected to drop
everything and crew - and the person he was talking to will totally
understand, especially if they are also crew. Also tell him don't be shy, we
are a fun bunch and easy to talk to until our riders come in ;-)))

Good luck to you both! Don't forget to pack some good luvin' for him for
after the ride.
Kristen in TX

PS: If he works out, let me know if he has a brother.