[RC] Re: [RC] Instructions for newbie crew-people? - sharon1359

I'm sorry, I guess I was unclear before.  Last summer was my first season... I
did 6 CTRs and a 50-mile endurance ride.

So I do already have a pretty good idea what I would need, but I'm afraid I'll
forget something in the telling.  ;)  Not only that, but I haven't been doing
this so long that I can't use this as an opportunity to learn from the Pros!

-Sharon K.

------------
Jonni wrote:

The duties of a crew person are completely based on what the rider needs
them to do. Being a rider that rarely has a crew, I keep the duties very
minimal when the hubby does come along. Help carry water buckets? Make a
lunch for me? Give the horse some hay? You need to decide how much help you
need. And until that very first 50 mile ride, you may not know. I will tell
you this. Very often, riders get stressed and "grumpy" at rides, and they
verbally take it out on the loved one who is crewing. We snap orders at
them, and if things are not going well that day, somehow we think it is the
crews fault. I have gotten better over the years, but still try to remember
to tell my hubby before the ride, that I apologize now, for anything I say
or do during the weekend that is not pleasant.

After you do a couple CTR's, where you will have to do 99% of the horse care
anyway, you might have a better idea just how much you will need him to do
for you at the endurance ride. If the vet checks are in camp at the
endurance ride, he has even less to do, as he won't even need to drive out
to the check with your crew bag.

Jonni in TX

Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough
~  Theodore Roosevelt