[RC] No Frills 55 no problem for the Hawkman! - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Mary Coleman caf@xxxxxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

This ride changed location but still
provided tons of rocks and climbs!
The Crandalls have a nice farm in Virginia
to park but most of the trail was in West Va.
I am sure they had a lot to do with most of
the trail marking as it was
very well marked. The turn-out was very
good even though the weather forecast was
not. I think there were 35 in the 55 and
about the same in the 30.
No Frills was not a good name though as
ride management provided and dragged out
eveything you needed to the hold. They asked
that you send out bare minimum so the
only thing you needed was electrolyes and
because of the cold a blanket. Good hay
and grain were provide too. I sent only a blanket
and more feed as they had only 100 lbs heck
Hawk eats 50 each ride and he wasn't going to
be the first one in to have at it! It seemed
like many riders sent out everything but the
kitchen sink! I felt sorry for all the volunteers
whom had to carry all that stuff up and down
hill to the hold.
Loop one was 11 miles decent trail no problem.
Loop 2 was the one at the briefing we were
forewarned was a killer! The talk alone was enough
to start shutting my fun-meter down. My main concern
was the length 23.8 miles Hawk does not go that far
without food! Therefore I carried a bag of grain and
fed him. Almost four hours into the loop galloping
up the last grassy hill in with the ice and snow pelting
in our faces Hawk and me were both sure that John Denver
was very wrong about West Virginia being almost heaven
not even close. I was scared of loop 3 not much had been
said about it at the briefing maybe ignorance is bliss?
It was for the most part decent we did it in two hours
and had all good Morgan road to the finish. Crossed the
finish line at 5:35 and received our completion.
MANY volunteers gave up their Easter Sunday to spend it
standing in the cold to assure that we got to ride. They
are the ones deserving the completions! Thanks and double
thanks! mary and the Mighty Hawk (whom has his own fan club
in Va. and had his picture taken many times! )

Of course things aren't perfect,  perfect doesn't exist on this earth.
Doesn't mean we won't go on trying to get better at what we do. Besides, if
everything was perfect today, what would you do tomorrow? Slamming each
other doesn't get anything done.
~  Dot Wiggins