RE: [RC] [RC] bit question - Laurie Durgin

I have the same kind of bit except it is fullcheck, ebay. R. does seem to rate better in it. He also half halts a whole lot better in it.He does seem to round better in it (used it for a 8 month period.He also seemed more relaxed. The cons are , it seems harder for him to eat in(leaf snatching and such.)Been looking in his mouth a whole lot more though, and he has a flat small tongue and not much height in his palate.Pretty flat in there.He does seem to like the curved mouth though. I also have a Tollat knockoff that has a french link and curved bars, my green mare seems much more comfortable in it than the thick or straighter snaffle. I do prefer the D rings though as he likes to rub, and I can't let him with the full check on.ouch!
I have heard that snaffles nutcracker action isn't as mild as we used to think.I think the curved bars though are a real improvement in any bit.

From: "Amy Martin" <amymartin@xxxxxxx>
To: <ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [RC]   bit question
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2004 08:43:23 -0700

I have used the same full cheek copper snaffle for 20 years and decided last
week it was time to retire it. I called a company that sold myler bits
intending to get a comfort or Bristol snaffle and they advised a forward
tilt ported barrel with D ring sidepieces, has rotating sides but does not
break in the middle like a snaffle. I told them I have a young Arab who
responds well to my snaffle but often inverts and throws her head up when I
apply pressure to slow her down or to try to get her into a more rounder
frame. They said Arabs often have low palates and dislike tongue pressure.
Anyway, I have tried the new bit twice and she is responding to it OK as far
as turning and speed control and maybe a little less head up inversion but I
feel I have lost some finesse with turns and with keeping her between my
hands when facing something scary she doesn't want to cross or with
sidepassing/turns on the haunches ect. Maybe she is just taking time
adjusting to a new bit and I am prejudiced about wanting a snaffle back
because it is all I have ever ridden in. Anyway, I am thinking out loud, I
have about a week to try the bit and I can return it for a different one if
it doesn't work out. Any thoughts? Thanks, Amy and Tequiza

There is no better way to see the world than from the back of a horse.
~  Teddy Roosevelt

REAL endurance is taking your non-horsey family to a ridecamp with you!
~ Heidi Sowards