Re: [RC] Garmin GPS - April

Hi, Bob,

I have a Forerunner 201. Pretty close to the Foretrex, but for runners, so some
different functionality, but same body. I think the Foretrex is a good unit,
conceptually. I don't own one, but I want one. Hubby says no for now.

Anyway, the Foretrex probably will go on the pommel of your saddle, but you have
to remember that it needs satellites to work properly. If it's on the pommel, a
good part of the sky will be blocked by your body. Might work, but I would be
wary. It'd probably get lots better look at the satellites on your wrist.

I've only had my Forerunner for a couple months, but I've used it on every
training ride since I got it. The weight really is minimal.

I have a Vmax heart rate monitor and I have to wear the watch and the GPS on
different wrists or the GPS interferes with the HRM readings.

Another thing you might want to think about. The Foretrex 201 has a lithium ion
battery (like the Forerunner 201). So far one charge has lasted for 8-10 hours
of riding (not consecutively yet...first 50 with it is next week). BUT, the
Foretrex 101 runs on AAA batteries. No idea on the battery time there, but
advertised as 15 hours, so probably 8 on good rechargeables, maybe more. Course,
I'm just guessing. The Foretrex 101 will be the same thing as the 201, just with
replaceable batteries. Supposed to be released 2nd Quarter this year.

Course, my husband pointed out that we've had some issues with batteries
bouncing slightly in other GPS units (during long trot sessions). When that
happens, the GPS shuts off from lack of battery power. So that might be an issue
with the Foretrex 101, but would also be minimized due to being on your wrist.

April
Nashville, TN