[RC] Girth Galls - Jonni Jewell

Had a gelding that had extra skin and wrinkles in the girth area. I center
fire rigged the saddle, to pull the girth back out of his arm pits. Then,
the best luck I had with cinches were leather ones. He was allergic to
neoprene and would break out and swell, and the string girths would pinch
his wrinkled skin and he would gall. Leather takes more care and cleaning,
but I have never had a gall with one. I would also be sure to lift his legs
up, to stretch that skin out from under the cinch or girth when I rode.

This time of the year, when they are shedding, it seems we see more galls
from balled up loose hair rubbing. Also, everyone has different luck, with
different equipment, so it really does become trial and error with what will
work for your horse.

Jonni

People in Alabama swear by manure tea as an herbal remedy for colds.
~ Lisa Redmond