From: Ridecamp Guest <guest-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [RC]   Keeping one's seat
Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2004 20:22:55 GMT

Please Reply to: Ray O'Donohue rno2m@xxxxxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I think a lot of this is less quantifiable than some instructors or authors think it is. Photos of "correct" stirrup length and "correct" hands...well,maybe. As one who has had MORE than his share of wrecks,I humbly offer one suggestion to the ridecamp folks(most of whom are no doubt better riders than me):consider longer stirrup leather length. I go by a riding ring on the way home each day,and I see the young lesson girls posting to an absurd height.How can this possibly be advantageous? Why would a rider want to be any more than " a bit of daylight" above the saddle ? There may be some advantage to this(?),but there is definitly a disadvantage in terms of polar momentum,and "feel".When the ____ begins to hit the fan,the closer you are to your horse's spine,the quicker you will feel it coming,and the more likely you are to keep that seat.Chico taught me this.

===========================================================Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough
~ Theodore Roosevelt

Get rid of annoying pop-up ads with the new MSN Toolbar ? FREE! http://toolbar.msn.com/go/onm00200414ave/direct/01/

...but then, I do ride my horses a lot more than most people ~ Karen Chaton