Re: [RC] Running down people...is okay? - KeepsakeFarms

In a message dated 4/5/2004 4:39:02 PM Eastern Standard Time,
rides4fun@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

It is possible to ride a horse at top speed in a
pack, and have the horse stop when asked.  It just takes training. True,
lots of it.  But surely when we ride a horse in a
competition, it has been
trained enough to be safe.

Yes, training does take part, but so does Newton's first law of Motion- you
know dealing with INERTIA!!!  Can't say that it is easy to stop a 1000 lb
ANYTHING going that fast- even with training.  This is also the reason that
they have semi-truck runoff ramps on large hills in the mountains.  You don't
see those being used for compact cars, do you?  Semi trucks have more mass, and
thus weight, contributing to more inertia.  Horses have more mass and weight
than people and gain more inertia the faster they go.  They must overcome this
to stop- just as the semi does.  No amount of training can make a horse stop
literally on a dime- no matter how much we would like it to.

Linda and Shennandoah
I don't think you have to join a gym or buy frilly outfits to get some
fitness.  A decent set of shoes and a 15 minute dismount here and there
will help.
~  Jon K. Linderman, Ph.D., FACSM, Assistant Professor of Health and Sport
Science, University of Dayton