RE: [RC] [RC] Learning from Riding Accidents - Kristen A Fisher - A. Perez

A.  Trail riding alone, many, many years ago (I was a teenager,
must have been '76 or 77) along am old powerline.  Came to some
marshy ground, but it didn't look that bad.  About two steps in
and my horse was in upto his hocks, picthcing and floundering in
the muck (a spring bed, hidden by the deep grass growing over
it).  I bailed and let my horse find his own way out, only to
realize he was heading right towards 4 strands of barbed wire
runnign through the woods parallel to the trail.  Thanks God his
reins got caught on a twig, stopping him a few feet from the
fence.  Lesson 1:  when riding unfamiliar trails, get off an
walk ahead of your horse through marshy, mucky or otherwise
uncertain footing.  Lesson 2:  if at all possible,hang on to
your horse!

B.  Riding in late winter/early spring in asy Boots.  Made the
mistake of going diagonally up a very small hill, not realizing
that the ground under the grass was frozen.  My Easy Boots had
no studs, horses feet went sideways out from under him, he fell
on his side (pinning my leg), then jumped up and took off.

Lesson 1: if thwere is ANY change of ice, snow, frozen grounds
etc use studs in easy boots - they're "slicker 'n deer guts on a
door knob" otherwise.  Lesson 2.a  Have an Id tag with home
phone number on it so the person who finds your horse in their
back yard knows who to call (I had this, fortunately).  Lesson
2.b instruct your husband what to do when he gets the call 'we
found your horse but no rider', primarily STAY BY THE PHONE!
Fortunately the folks who found my horse went looking for me, so
I found out where he was, and was there by the time my very
scared husband showed up.  I now have a long instruction sheet
detailing my usual riding routes, who to call to raise a search
party, vet's number, numbers of friends with trailers if horse
needs to be moved, etc.

And of course, always always always WEAR A HELMET!

When I think of all the dumb stuff I did as a kid and the nutty
horses I've ridden (and still ride) I'm amazed I have not
seriously injured (...YET!) while riding a horse.

...I have been wondering about this for some time. I have heard
many of you mention riding accidents you have had, whether on
trail or at a ride, and wondered if you could identify a reason
and hence take steps to prevent a recurrence.

Get your own "800" number
Voicemail, fax, email, and a lot more
http://www.ureach.com/reg/tag
REAL endurance is your water freezing IN the cantle bags!
~ Heidi Sowards