[RC] senior and molasses - DreamWeaver

Purina's brand is 6 to 7 and Manna Pro's is 7%. I prefer to feed the senior feed at rides now instead of Complete Advantage (20% molasses).

To answer the question about bug allergies -- try feeding flax seed, and/or garlic. Make sure you are not feeding high protein feeds. I've gone thru severe allergies with one of my horses and he has gotten over it as he ages, however, he still does get milder versions of reactions. Susan G. recommended flax seed last year (and aside from her telling me to try to ground up the seeds in my food processor which just sent them flying into every crevice in my kitchen, it did help). :^) If you are really truly just having 'bug allergies', then I can tell you what worked for this horse (and may or may not work for yours), and that is to give him a good workout a couple of times a week, the kind where they sweat and sweat. Then bath them with soap. The sweating seems to get the toxin buildup out, and washing them off really helps.

I like to buy aloe vera juice in gallons sizes (Wal Mart) and spray that on the horses in areas where they have tack contact (saddle, girth, b/c, etc.) and in their armpits. Eqyss makes a good rehydrating spray that I also like. This is good summer maintenance for any horse that gets a lot of use.

Karen
in NV

The air of heaven is that which blows between a horse`s ears. ~ Arabian Proverb