Re: [RC] collywobbles - Ed & Wendy Hauser

I have no idea where I first heard that term.  I suspect it was from my
paternal grandfather.  Folklore all over the world has terms for minor
spirits that inhabit wild places.

From the French we get Gnomes.  Who are easily affronted earth spirits.
They do things like tie horses tails in knots.
The Celts (and by extension the English) gave us various kinds of Elves.
Some were good, some were bad, and some just liked to play tricks.  They
could take any form, and vanish in a puff of smoke.
The Swedes talk of Tomten.  A Tomte lives around the barn and can help you,
but if offended may sour milk, tangle horses manes or do other mischief.
They have now evolved into part of the children's Christmas story.
Among the Finnish community in MN, the French name Gnome is used for a sort
of forest spirit wearing a red, pointed cap (they look like illustrations of
Swedish Tomten).  In this current story they are secretive, benevolent, and
live in forests.  I'm sure my horses would be terrified if they caught a
glimpse of one.

There are also spirits that inhabit mines (Cornish Tommy knockers, and
German Kobald or Kobold to name two)

Ed
Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875

ranch@xxxxxxxxxxx
406.642.6490

REAL endurance is your water freezing IN the cantle bags!
~ Heidi Sowards