[RC] chronic colicker; need some words of wisdom - Karen Sullivan - DreamWeaver

Karen -- some beet pulp is higher in molasses than Equine Senior (which has 6 to 7%). This is as far as I got on my chart: http://members.tripod.com/ridephotos/molasses.html I would like to finish filling in the missing values if anybody out there feeds these feeds and can request that information for me. I've tried to no avail so far.

The big problem that I personally found with beet pulp is that even if you have a bag that is 5 to 9% molasses (or over 14%), you are often feeding it in higher quantities or on a more regular basis than some other feeds that may contain a higher molasses so if you aren't careful you'll end up with a horse on a sugar high. What is most annoying is that Farmer's Feed, who is my local supplier for beet pulp (except not anymore <G>), provides bags that they have told me may contain 12+% molasses, but on the label and the bag both there is NO word "molasses" anywhere. Just plain beet pulp, that's it. Since I'd been feeding my horses BP w/ molasses (regardless of what their label said) and have now got some that is a lower % of molasses from a manufacturer in Southern California, I can certainly tell by doing a taste test with the horses -- it's clear to them which one has the most sugar because that is the one they eat and the other stuff they give me 'the look' (the you've got to be kidding me look, if you want me to eat that you've gotta put something else in it).

Karen
in NV

REAL endurance is sleeping in the tack compartment of your trailer w/the
door open, and your horse snorts/snots on your forehead every 30 min!
~ Heidi Sowards