[RC] New Chevy/GMC Diesel vs Dodge Diesel - Karen

According to Consumer Reports though, the Ford has been the most
reliable for the past several years...
Ferne Fedeli
PS  Of course, we have a Ford!  LOL.  We're in the market for a new
truck next year though and are between a Dodge and another Ford...   The
main problems we've had with the Ford have been transmissions and blamed
that on the fact that it is an automatic.  We're still unsure about
whether to go automatic or stick on the new one.

We've got the new Ford. Actually, it's a year old today. I think it has a little over 17,000 miles now after going to Cuyama and back. <knocking on wood>, so far no problems or issues. It's a great truck. We had a one ton Chevy before, and it was also a nice truck, never gave us any trouble but it just wasn't rated for the weight I am now hauling so we upgraded to the Ford F450. The new 6.0 diesel engine is awesome and the automatic torqueshift tranny is also very sweet. I don't know how it will hold up over the long haul, but so far it's been doing a great job without any problems. I used to have to turn my Chevy off in drive thru if I wanted to order (fast food), but the Ford is quieter and I don't have to. The noise level inside with the windows up is also far better. If anybody out there is contemplating a new truck and they are hauling a fairly large rig (for example, a 3 horse gooseneck with living quarters) you may want to check out the weight ratings and go with something larger than a one ton truck. We paid less for our 1 1/2 ton (F450) than some of my friends did for their F250's and F350's (seriously). It is really nice having those extra brakes and durability of a larger truck. It still fits in the garage too (barely). As far as power goes, I can set cruise control and go up virtually any grade in the Sierra's at 65 if I want. I have more power than I need, and my rig total weight is around 22,000 pounds. I'm rated for 26k. I like being under, rather than right on or over the limit. Karen in NV

REAL endurance is your water freezing IN the cantle bags!
~ Heidi Sowards