Re: [RC] New Chevy/GMC Diesel vs Dodge Diesel - Magnumsmom

Susan,

I can't speak from both sides of the fence (I have a 2000 dodge diesel),
but when I buy stuff like this... (or expensive software like Oracle), I
take into account the bug factor.

The Dodge uses a Cummins turbo diesel engine that has been around
and improved on for many years.  The newer ones are even more cool
than the one I got (which I thought was way cool with it's then new
variable turbo technology).

An engine friend years ago, however, said the new DuraMax engine
being developed was execellent.  However, it took several more years
for it to actually come onto the market and I've heard of atleast one
person who bought one within the first 6 months that had to have the
engine replaced (it died) under warranty.

And then there's the rest of the truck.  You also might try to find online
those "fix it" notes all the manufacturers put out for the mechanics.
The name escapes me, but I remember looking them up online a couple
years ago.  It was pretty amazing.  The Chevy / GMC had thousands of
notices, the Ford had hundreds, and the Dodge had about 160 or so.  So
there's that too.

Of course the engine and longevity is what you want to buy here.

Not trying to tell you what to do here, just pointing you at some more
things to research and consider before "The Big Commitment".
Hope it helps,

Kathy Myers
in Santa Fe, NM
... who just couldn't get past the name Cummins...