[RC] 1. Bute for colic? 2. "Compunded dipyrone?" - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Kim Huck khuck@xxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi all,

1.  Has anyone ever heard or taken part in giving Bute for a colic? I was under
the impression that Bute should not be given to a deyhdrated horse based on
various articles that I've read over time.

Recently, a local vet prescribed (over the phone) 2 tablets of Bute for what
was determined to be a mild colic case by the owner (no, it's not me) and the
vet.

I have never heard of giving Bute for colic and to me it sounds like taking an
aspirin for a stomach ache.  However, if it works... how exactly does it help
in a colic case?  I also figured that if Bute worked for colic cases, vets
would have been prescribing that for years (long before Dipyrone was taken off
the market)

2.  Speaking of Dipyrone....the vet also mentioned that he had found a place
where he could get "compounded Dipyrone".  Has anyone ever heard of that?  Is
that safe?

Thanks so much.

Kim

in our dark soul the horse prances... The horse, the
horse! The symbol of surging potency and power of movement, of action...
~  DH Lawrence