Re: [RC] teaching a horse to drink??? - Chris Paus

--- heidi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Well, first off, congratulations to you for making
a> Unfortunately, I've seen people take a horse that
wasn't drinking and
shove down the e-lytes and make the problem worse
more times than I can
count.  E-lytes are a tool--not a cure-all.  If your
horse requires e-lyte
replacement, then you need to use e-lytes.  But they
are not a Band-aid to
make non-drinking horses drink!

That's true.. I think knowing your horse and using
moderation and common sense are key here...

When I got started in this sport, my horse refused
drink.. I started adding powdered gatorade to his
water. It's not as good as regular equine
electrolytes, but he did drink the water which was
important.

Again, too often I've seen horses turned off from
drinking by adding stuff
to water--if it works for a particular horse, then
great.  But don't try
this at a ride until you've tried it at home!  IMO,
the #1 reason why a
horse doesn't drink at the ride is because he also
didn't eat enough, and
the #2 reason is that he isn't ready to handle the
excitement.  Deal with
those issues, and the drinking will follow.
Meanwhile, ride to the
circumstances (ie slow!) or, as in the case of the
original post here,
pull from the ride if the problem is too much, and
board.

TRUE ENOUGH... One thing I learned with the Starman is
that I started him in distance riding too soon. I
entered a CTR three months after I bought him. He and
I weren't ready and it blew his mind. Now, 8 years
later, I have a pretty good campaigner.

I'm trying to not repeat the same mistakes with my
filly I'm training. I'm giving her lots of time to
learn to camp out, to go down the trail and to be with
other horses....before I enter her in a competition.

Heidi

REAL endurance is dressing for 20 degrees in the AM
and by noon its 85
degrees!
~ Heidi Sowards

ridecamp.net information:
http://www.endurance.net/ridecamp/

=====
"A good horse makes short miles," George Eliot

Chris and Star

BayRab Acres
http://pages.prodigy.net/paus
The very essence of our sport is doing the trail as quickly as practicable,
while keeping one's horse fit to continue.  Taking the clock out of the
equation makes it another sport altogether.  The challenge is how to keep
the sport what it is while honing our skills (both as riders and as those
in control roles) in detecting where "the edge" is for each horse so that
we don't cross it.
~  Heidi Smith