Re: [RC] to geld or not to geld - melanie . o

At last years CA. Eqine Expo, Dr. Robert Taylor(?), the vet who first advocated
imprinting, in on of his lectures discussed how he is gelding colts at 1-3
DAYS, before the testicles ascend.  He claims it is way easier on them and they
heal much faster.

This info came too late for me as my mare, who ALWAYS has fillies, presented me
w/ a colt a month before the expo.  He got gelded at four months; as soon as
his testicles had descended and some time after he'd started trying to mount
his mother and his filly-sister.  Now, he is a total sweetheart.  He too healed
up very quickly with hardly any swelling.  I personally believe that the fact
that we gelded before weaning made it much less traumatic.

melanie
You don't have to be a 100-mile rider or a multi-day rider to be an
endurance rider, but if you want to experience the finest challenges our
sport has to offer, you need to do both of those.
~ Joe Long