[RC] RC: Spring-tie vs Hi-tie systems - DreamWeaver

Tracy -- I've been using the Hi-Ties and really like them a lot. I've camped next to people that have Spring Ties, and you are right, they are noisy. They are also springs, so if a horse gets tangled and you release them, the spring springs up, then comes down again. I don't feel that they are safe for MY horses (and that is just MY opinion). I've witnessed some accidents that have caused my opinion to be what it is. REMEMBER -- there is no 100% safe way to confine a horse. Everybody has their own preference for what works for them. I've seen a lot of accidents over the years in all kinds of containment systems and for my horses, the Hi-Ties are the best method to restrain them.

I have a comparison page on the different arm-tie products here: http://members.tripod.com/ridephotos/horse/ties.html

The thing that I have found with horses that are on ties that spring, or bungees, is that they often learn to pull -- that is not something that I want my horses to learn. So, I don't tie on a bungee (for other safety reasons as well), and like the Hi-Tie because in over three years of use none of my horses have learned to tie or pull on it. I typically have had two horses spending the equivalent of two to three months worth of nights on their Hi-Ties each year, and have had zero injuries as a result. So there is my opinion. :-)

Here is a photo of one of my horses on his tie at the Grand Canyon ride last October. You can see how he is tethered, with velcro at the top, a 4" O ring attached to a 2' nylon tie (a regular in-trailer type tie), another 4" O ring that the trailer tie attaches to it w/ a quick release snap, then the cotton rope is tied thru the O ring in a quick release knot (you may need to tie a more secure knot if your horse is Houdini), then a bullsnap that attaches to the horses halter. DO NOT TIE YOUR HORSE OVERNIGHT WITH A QUICK RELEASE SNAP DIRECTLY TO THE HALTER. They only need to rub on a leg to release themselves and get loose. http://community.webshots.com/s/image1/2/99/84/95329984ozmJWj_fs.jpg

Karen
in NV

There are 2 ways to win at this sport. You take a horse and race him for a
short time and then find a new horse or you can take one horse , do the
homework and spend many miles and years enjoying that horse.
~  Paddi Sprecher