[RC] Sandhills Ride SE - Roger Rittenhouse

Ok - well since almost none of the major SE ride report posters sent an
report on the SANDHILLS ride - here goes mine.

This was my first time at SANDHILLS - Patrick NC. Patsy Gowen and Liz
? ops sorry, put on one heck of a great ride.
one day 100, 30/30 and 55/55.

Location of camp was great with more room then anyone could want. I parked
WAY in the out back, since I arrived late on Fri and since I chose
NOT to be parked on top of other riders with generators  and dogs
running all over the place. There was NO dog control rule here,  it is
a field dog trial grounds, so dogs can go all over the place ... I
parked two trailer widths from the closest rig, had plenty of room.
--and great neighbors - Celia? with a nice mare on her 4th 50, did fine and
Steve party
guy/crew and a nice dog - Cowboy.

Took 8 hrs to get there. We stopped 2 times for fuel and one time to
get him out for a walk around.

Our plan was to do the LD 30. It was our first ride since Sept. We did
not know for sure we had all the problems under control, so I thought
it best to be safe and do the LD.
As it measured on the GPS, the mileage was 32, which is what other
riders got  and I think Pasty said it was about that.
Great trail, not much real deep sand. There was only one place where
we had to be careful. The rest of the trail was a battle to keep him
down to a sensible pace.
Vetting was great- more then enough vets and  no vet lines.
She had plenty of pulse takers and
the loop order kept the 3 ride venues separated quite well.

Our plan was to complete in about 4 to 4.5 hrs - total time less the
40 minute hold. We resisted the temptation to go faster as well as
only riding one day. It was real tough NOT to go again on Sunday

He did just fine, both of us had a great fun ride. Our target was to
use the LD a conditioning ride for the Million Pines 50 on April 6.

I do not have much data of who did what on the the Sat ride. One point
on interest was the LD30 had 70 starters 66 finish. How about that?
Now what is the issue with LD riders needing all the help and control
placed on them.??? I do not believe any LD riders need treatment.
Not the case with the 50 milers though. I do not know the stats for
the Sunday ride.

Few HW riders did really great. Sat55 Ed Roley and Sawyer were 11th,
and   Joe Schoech and Boggy did BOTH days of the 55 and on Sun- day 2
 after 110 mile was TT and BC.
  Way to go Joe!!  Looks like Omni and I have some real work
to do this year if we want to make a comeback to the 50 milers SE HW
division. Just finishing the MP will be good enough for me.

I have some stats - sort of the type of data the 'log book' crowd
likes. I have been doing this for years.

Ride LD30  GPS Miles 32
Weather Sunny  Windy cold start warm later 75 Deg
Footing flat sandy, some deep
Start time 8am
Finish Time 12:33 pulse down
Hold time 40 min
Ride time 3:53
Place 30
Loop 1 - 16 miles/ Arr time 9:49/ ride time 1:49/ pulse down time 9:51/
2min/pulse 55
 /CRI 56-56/ B+ Gut/ Rest A
(no water no hose arrived pull saddle put on HRM belt walked to pulse
VC) (drank well at water stops/ 1 tube acculyte on trail) (ate drank
well in VC) (2 oz perfwin after vet/2oz before leaving/ 1 oz CC) Out
time 10:31
Loop 2- 16 miles/ Arr Time 12:22/ Ridetime 1:51 / pulse down time
12:33/ 11-min/ pulse 57/ CRI 48-52/ A- Gut A- Skin/Rest A
(trot to in timer/5 min walk to crew area/5 gal water spray) ( drank
at both trail water stops/ 1 tube lytenow on trail/ 2oz perfwin after vet/2 oz
at trailer-1 oz cc) Ate drank fair after ride. No back or leg issues

GPSHR data
32 miles
Avg Speed 7.1 mph
Max Speed 16.6 - Run away loop1
Avg HR 145

I put all this data on the vet card.

Some interesting notes.
Recall the post on the pace/hr where a horse is most efficient. Omni likes
8mph at a HR of 130 to 135 on the flat at home.
At this ride he was going along at about 10 to 12 mph with a hr of 140
to 155 depending on the footing, but mostly flat.
He was going about 20 to 30 percent over his normal speed and his HR
was only about 15% over his normal level. Of course most of the time
we were doing battle with control to keep him going at a civil pace of
under 10 mph.  His big trot was about 15 mph with HR at 160. I let him
run a few times keeping the speed at about 15 mph and his HR would
drop to 150/155. It was a bit erratic since he wanted to bolt and race
on. His best canter/gallop speed was about 17 to 18 mph with HR in the
anaerobic range
of 180. I did not let him run  long, just enough to open him up and do a
short fartlek. Then back down to a moderate pace. I wanted mild stress
to work him at higher levels then we can obtain at home.

This was the first ride I did with the new toy, Timex GPS+HR. It was
quite an interesting ride with all the real time data. It also told me
when enough was enough, and not let him have his way no matter how
well he felt.  It work well with no problems.

He really did not get into a working grove until about 27 miles.
I think I can say he was in better shape then I thought?

Working a bit longer and faster at home now to get peaked for a
'normal' flat land 50..say 8 hrs?

I have some pictures up on the webshots
Roger Rittenhouse
www.vmaxept.com
800 655 8629
pictures  http://community.webshots.com/user/psdendurance

I don't think you have to join a gym or buy frilly outfits to get some
fitness.  A decent set of shoes and a 15 minute dismount here and there
will help.
~  Jon K. Linderman, Ph.D., FACSM, Assistant Professor of Health and Sport
Science, University of Dayton