[RC] Cut Throat Competition - Laura Hayes

Christina wrote>>>>"I am conditioning my horse for CTR's and possibly LD ER's.=
 However, last weekend while riding with a new friend, she=
 mentioned a horrible experience she had at her very first ER=
 ride that was a few years ago in Florida. Because of it, she=
 will never participate in ER rides again. She is going to stick=
 with the CTRs because the people are friendlier, more helpful,=
 and not cut-throat like the ER crowd. Apparantly, at this ER the=
 night before the ride, someone cut a couple of tents with a=
 knife, and another one was set on fire! I am hoping that this =
 is just an isolated incident and that ER people are not REALLY=
 like this?? Any comments??"<<<

SURE, I'll comment!!! First, by 'ER rides' I am assuming you mean, Endurance.  I have been doing endurance for 22 years (half my life) and have left the keys in my truck and my purse and briefcase on the front seat for just as long.  I have left everything I own open to the public while I ride (sometimes a 100 miles, so for 15-18 hours or more) and NEVER had anything stolen, messed with or damaged.  I am fairly competitive to boot, so if there was someone who wanted to mess with me, I gave them ample oppurtunity and reason.

I have ridden endurance in many of the regions in our country and in Canada mostly by myself with no crew, and have met the best, friendliest,most helpful and finest people you would ever want to meet.

You can believe anything you want, Christine, but you can't prove it by me!!!

LauraHayes AERC#2741