Re: [RC] Speaking Arabian - Lif Strand

I believe that horses can be the windows to our own souls. They absorb what we put out, and to some degree reflect back some of that back to us. Different breeds are known for how much they can absorb vs how much they reflect back. Arabians are, in my opinion, one of the most reflective of breeds of horses.

We ride in partnership with our horses. The quality of the partnership can be observed. When I watch a person ride - any breed - I know what that person is truly like inside, I know what's going on in his/her mind. In particular with Arabians, if a person is in an uproar internally, the horse will be in an uproar externally. A human at peace and giving in trust can develop a relationship with a horse that reflects peace and trust, and the horse will be trustworthy.

The horse is not the only one putting into that partnership. So you don't have to "speak Arabian" to have a calm and trustworthy Arabian, you just have to remember that if your soul is in an uproar, this most reflective of breeds will reflect that back to the world. Be calm and trusting and you will end up with a calm and trusting horse. If you can't be calm and trusting, if you can't - as CW Anderson I think said - throw your heart over the fence first and let the horse follow - then either accept the wrecks that may result or ride a less reflective breed, but don't blame a breed for your own internal issues.

That said, keep in mind that horses are living beings and have memories. Just as with any relationship between thinking beings, good, deep relationships take time to develop. Horses may be born with calm personalities but those personalities must be cherished and cultivated or they can be warped and eroded. So to develop a great, trustworthy horse that you'd trust your life with, develop a soul that your horse can trust it's soul with.

   Lif Strand      fasterhorses.com
           Quemado NM USA