[RC] speaking arabian - Kathie Ford

Well sometimes I just can't believe how the timing of some topics on RC can be.

Speaking arabian?  Interesting.  Well, this weekend my daughter finally found a nice horse, for $1.00 because of the fact that this horses previous owner said she was "crazy".  Keep in mind this mare was on 100% alfalfa, grained, and on stall rest for months for an injury inwhich she is now sound.  The previous owner went to ride her last Sat. and to her own admitting, did not even lunge her first, or even sort of slowly reintroduce the saddle to her nor the idea of riding her.  She just got on.  There was an accident.  After the accident she decided she did not want the horse anymore, and called and asked a vet to "put her down".  So this horse now comes to us.

In two days this horse is in my daughters heart. For some of you who may remember, my daughter Laura lost her horse Raspberry a year and a half ago.  She was hurting for a long time.  Now, finally I think her heart can heal.  Lilli, her new horse, is a beautiful dapple grey, 15'2 hand egyption/polish arabian.  The mare has been very obedient with Laurie and very attentive.  Comes up to be caught, and lunged extremely nicely tonight. Did whatever my daughter asked her.  Hard to see her as crazy.  We know that somewhere there was a "trigger" for her previous owners experience.  However, at this time we cannot fault the horse. We strongly feel it was "rider error".  When she was lunged this evening she had only been in her present surrounds about 48 hours.  She was even walked down the street for only the second time she's been her and brought to our neighbors arena.  She even walked back calmly at dusk with my other horse calling to her.  She walked calmly up the driveway even with my other gals running around happy she was back. She never even tried to bolt.

This horse has come with a so called "bad rep".  However, a neighbor who is an arabian trainer, and a very kind, soft spoken young woman called us about this horse and offered her to my daughter.  She was very honest about why the owner did not want her anymore.  Knowing that this neighbor/trainer likes my daughter (Laurie worked for her all summer) and is very aware of her riding skills, and would not at all want to put her in harms way we decided to take this young mare on and trust our neighbors instincts.

She has shown nothing of the problems as were described. We understand that we have only had 2 days with her, but what we have seen has only convinced us thus far that this mare was entirely misunderstood and was with a very "green" rider who should not only not have an arabian, but really isn't ready for her own horse at all yet.

This "crazy"  horse has a very sweet look about her, a soft eye, full of _expression_ and kindness.  She does "read" a person very quickly but is also quick to trust if treated properly.  Another thing is that this mare just turned 5!  She is so young and yet had so much expected of her.  We strongly believe that with proper handling, patience, love and respect, will become a very very good horse.  She already had five months solid training by my neighbor who never had an issue with her.  Her manners so far are perfect.

She stood very quite at the wash rack on her first day as one of my dogs suddenly ran past her to chase off a deer on my neighbors property.  She didn't even bat an eye. A good test I thought.   We walked her all the way around our loop (3 mile walk) which is in a rural area.  Horses everywhere, cars passing by, dogs barking etc.  We even stopped in a neighbors yard as my husband went to get our rescue guy Pops.  Never once did she even offer to act up.

She is registered purebred and does have some show lines in her pedigree.  However, it was indicated to us she'd probably be a good endurance prospect also.  By the way she was walking our neighborhood I think she could become a very stable trail mount. She seems very sensible.

We figure after 30 days we should be able to assess more of her personality, but so far she is very sweet.  Four out of six of our mares have accepted her already.  Only one major holdout so far and that is typical of Miss Sassy (25 yo QH!!-who's name fits!).
That is another thing we watch for by the way...how our other horses reacted to her.  By the way she was accepted, I don't think she will be anything but fine.

So for now, we figure, the other owners loss, my daughters gain!  I guess that means we speak arabian??!!  LOL!

kathie